Broadband Harmonics Mitigation Exclusive ElectroFlow Standard Feature no. 4
The Solution – ElectroFlow offers:
- Broadband harmonics mitigation.
- Energy Savings (KW/KVA, KWH).
- Modular-Configuration, makes it expandable.
Unlike active filters that:
- Waste energy.
- Generate harmonics (through injection).
- Have limited fixed sizes and are not expandable.
- Are bulky and expensive.
Harmonics is multiple images of line frequencies. In North America, the line frequency is 60Hz, therefore, H3 = 180Hz, H5 = 300Hz, etc. Major causes of harmonics are non-linear loads, such as, computers, electronic equipment, robotics, electronic lighting ballasts, variable speed drives, frequency inverters, UPS systems, DC drives, battery chargers, etc. These devices are becoming more and more common in industry. As a result, the more total harmonic distortion, the more the distortion of waveforms, whether voltage or current.
Harmonics causes the following problems:
- Overheating of transformers (K-Factor), and rotating equipment.
- Increased Hysteresis losses.
- Neutral overloading / unacceptable neutral-to-ground voltages.
- Distorted voltage and current waveforms.
- Failed capacitor banks.
- Breakers and fuses tripping.
- Unreliable operation of electronic equipment, and generators.
- Erroneous register of electric meters.
- Wasted energy / higher electric bills – KWD & KWH.
- Wasted capacity – Inefficient distribution of power.
- Increased maintenance of equipment and machinery.